UK Elle magazine includes an article on Tori and her wardrobe
Updated Thu, Mar 24, 2005 - 5:20am ET
The April 2005 issue of UK Elle magazine includes an article where Tori talks about her wardrobe and favourite designers, stores and style icons. Click to read the article and see scans of the photos!
Thanks to Nina Miller who sent me the text of the article and to Miss S Ermel for the scans you see below. Click any thumbnail to see the scans larger. The photos from Tori's wardrobe wil be much better if you get the magazine and see them full-sized!
Title: Closet confidential - Check out Tori's shoes: she owns so many she's had to build them their own wardrobe
Text: 'Have you seen the library?' Tori Amos nods towards the oversized shed outside her Cornish farmhouse. 'I use a catalogue to find what I need - it's the only way to keep track.' The petite singer-songwriter is talking about her huge shoe collection, each pair photographed and neatly ordered: Alaia heels, Bottega Veneta boots, Christian Louboutin peep-toes, Kurt Geiger round toes in every colour... Even Tori, 41, has no idea how many pairs she owns - 'If you're not counting, it's not decadent, it's practical.'
As well as the shed, Tori has allocated two bedrooms to her vast wardrobe, and still it spills into the rest of the house. Charming and totally unstarry, the queen of kook pulls her favourite items off the rails as she chats about her style - think rock chick meets Alice in Wonderland. Floor-sweeping Viviene Westwood dresses, Edwardian-esque Marc Jacobs jackets and sheer Paul & Joe shirts jostle for space next to basics from Topshop and Hennes. It may all look like budgetless impulse buying but, says Tori, it's 'deviously calculated'. Together with her friend, stylist Karen Binns, she's created a brilliantly eclectic look that reflects her music.
While her partner, Mark, prefers her in a skirt and go-go boots, when she's at home or playing with her four-year-old daughter, Natashya, Tori's a jeans girl. 'I have all makes [one rail alone has over 30 pairs, from Red Engine and For All Mankind to Diesel and Miss Sixty], but my Next ones are fabulous - a really great cut.'
Would she ever consider scaling down her wardrobe? 'Never, clothes become classics. Besides, Natashya says she wants it all, especially the shoes. Imagine, she's four and she loves Sergio Rossi!'
Captions (around pictures):
Tori's top stores
- Jeffrey, 449 West 14th Street, New York; enq (001 212) 206 1272. 'Just
- Selfridges, 400 Oxford Street, London W1; enq 0870 837 7377. 'Play around
- Concrete, 35a Marshall Street, London W1; enq (020) 7434 4546. 'Lots of
Tori's style icons
- 'The American actress Barbara Stanwyck. I love that she was a feminist,
- 'Georgia O'Keeffe is my touchstone. She always looked exactly the way she
- 'Carly Simon is really sexy and has a great look about her.'
Tori's fave designers
- Viktor & Rolf (www.viktor-rolf.com). 'I wore one of their tops on an album
- Bora Aksu (www.boraaksu.com). 'I've just discovered him and he's fantastic.
- Ashish (available at Liberty and Selfridges). 'I love his patterned turquoise
- Chat Charme (from Concrete; see box above). 'I love the cut and cummerbund